Research Promotion Board
Welding Mechanics and Design Committee
Vice-ChairSatoshi Igi (JFE Steel), Mitsuyoshi Nakatani (Hitachi Zosen)
Provide predictive methodologies for welding residual stresses, distortion, and structural integrity of weld components.
- Interactive welding design
- Virtual production system through manufacturing processes
- Fitness-for-service assessment procedure for weld structures
Fatigue Strength Committee
Vice-ChairKanta Nihei (Kawasaki Technology)
Develop innovative technologies for the avoidance of fatigue failures in weld structures.
- Fatigue analyses based on nominal stress and local stress approaches
- Fatigue design rules
- Fatigue crack initiation and propagation analysis under variable amplitude loadings
- Fatigue life extension of weld structures
Welding Metallurgy Committee
Vice-ChairHiroshige Inoue (Osaka University), Kenji Oi (JFE Steel)
Establish welding technologies leading to defect-free and high-performance joints. Innovate on joining technologies for hardly-weldable materials.
- Control of weld microstructure and defects
- Novel welding/joining technologies for advanced materials
- Modeling & visualization of material behavior during welding
Welding Process Committee
Vice-ChairManabu Tanaka (Osaka University), Hiroyuki Shimizu (Kobe Steel)
Promote research & development of new arc welding processes on the basis of fundamental arc physics.
- High efficiency welding
- Automatic welding with sensing & monitoring system
- Modeling and simulation of arc processes
High Energy Beam Processing Committee
Vice-ChairTakayuki Murata (Kawasaki Heavy Industries), Motomichi Yamamoto (Hiroshima University)
Process equipment development and material processing with high-energy beams; electron beam, laser beam and ion beam.
- Equipment for high-energy beam processing
- Material processing with electron beam, laser beam and ion beam
- Characteristics of high-energy processed product
Joining & Materials Processing for Light Structures Committee
Vice-ChairHidetoshi Fujii (Osaka University), Rinsei Ikeda (JFE Steel)
Develop joining and manufacturing technologies for light weight structures including automotive, railway vehicle, airplane, electrical machinery
- Optimization of production system for light weight structures
- Design and analysis of joints and components
- Quality assurance system for light structures
Micro Joining Committee
Vice-ChairShogo Tomida (Toyama Industrial Technology Center), Tomokazu Sano (Osaka University)
Promote research activities of "nano to meso scale" joining and processing based on scientific insights.
- Issues caused by scale-down of manufacturing technologies
- New micro/nano devices; precision devices, automobile parts, medical devices, and electronic devices
- New micro/nano welding/joining technologies
Interface Joining Committee
Vice-ChairT. Yamazaki (Tokyo Institute of Technology), M. Fukumoto (Toyohashi University of Technology)
Stimulate three main themes; "Diffusion bonding," "Brazing & soldering," and "Surface technology".
- Interfacial joining by diffusion bonding, pressure welding, friction welding, ultrasonic bonding and brazing & soldering, where materials are not melted as much as possible.
- Surface technologies such as surface modification, spraying, coating, plating and thin film formation